2011 has displayed a very trying year for companies and organizations. High unemployment, Wall Street's obsession with profits and an acrimonious congress has dominated the U.S. business landscape.
From following organizational anthropology and personal experiences, I beg executives, managers and associates (employees) to evaluate your attitude. Yes, I said attitude. Attitude effects all aspects of your life. I end the year, not with pontifications, but self introspective questions. These questions are valid for all organizational levels.
- Do you recognize a connection between people's performance and profits?
- Are your hiring practices inclusionary or exclusionary?
- Do you perform your responsibilities with focus and effort?
- Do you listen?
- Do you discriminate? Think hard about this question.
- Do you have the right people in the right position, doing the right thing?
- Do you accept, deny, encourage or fear change?
- Are you happy? Why or why not?
Lastly, forget 3 or 5 year strategies. What are your goals for the next 3 to 5 months? Repeat: your goals, not the where you work.
You are the difference!